June 9, 2019

How to Build Trust with Yourself

This week, Contessa Akin shares her perspective on how we can learn to trust ourselves, which is a stepping stone to being able to trust others.

---

Trust is one of the first things to go when you've been abused. Not trusting others really comes back to not trusting ourselves.  

In this video, I give you a simple two step process for building trust with yourself, even when you think you might be the most trusting person on planet earth....like I did.


You CAN trust yourself! Trust yourself to keep you safe, to make good decisions, to follow through!



Take a stand, use your voice, share your story!



Continue the conversation with fellow Rebels at www.RebelRisingFBGroup.com.





---
“Do you have a plan?" asked the lady on the other end of the phone. Sitting on the couch, my babies were climbing up my legs, smiling, patting me; I was gazing straight ahead, I was so numbed out that I didn’t even realize my husband called a suicide crisis hotline for me.


Up to that moment I had been a victim. I experienced a wide range of abuse in my entire life. At six years old, I was raped by a stranger, a rape that was facilitated by my biological mother and where my half-sister guarded the door. I was betrayed by the very people who were supposed to protect me and hold me dear.


The initial abuse led to the next abuse and the abuse after that. I attached myself to guilt instead of anger, shame instead of resentment, responsibility instead of blame. The world had taught me no one could be trusted, no one could be counted on, and no one would be there for me when I needed them most.


From a young age, I had been in counseling, attended group meetings, read the self-help books, been called to the school's counselor office, joined the military, moved around the world. None of that made any difference. I was still in pain and super frustrated.


In that instant of hearing that questions, “Do you have a plan?” I had a thought that occurred that wasn’t about just me and my pain, I considered my kids just might get hurt. Killing myself would be betraying them just my biological mother betrayed me. I knew the pain that they would have to endure.  So, I made a decision. I was going to be honest with myself. Being honest was me opening the roadmap to a new possibility.

You can connect with me in our private Facebook Group at www.RebelRisingFBGroup.com
Contessa Akin is an Intuitive Life Coach, World Class Rebel, Speaker, and Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today