November 17, 2020

9 Ways to Combat Exhaustion

This month, Heather Hammett, is joining us to share about ways to combat exhaustion in all its forms.

---

During this Pandemic especially, I have definitely experienced emotional and mental exhaustion. I have gotten irritated with myself and my family and have been impatient. I've had unexpected hour-long crying spurts. 

When I am consumed by fatigue and feeling depleted, I forget that I can do something beneficial about it. I can do something about how I am feeling and reacting. 

So, what can I do when I am spent, exhausted and depleted? How am I able to be more present during the day and do my personal best? Below are some ideas and strategies to help you manage feeling spent and drained. 

  • Ask for help 
  • Take a break (take a step back) 
  • Set boundaries 
  • Learn how to say no 
  • Be intentional with your breathing 
  • Connect with life outdoors 
  • Talk to a friend 
  • Write down 3 things that you are truly grateful for 
  • Meditate 

Ask for help to combat Exhaustion 

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I do that every day. Asking for help isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength. It shows you have the courage to admit when you don't know something, and to learn something new. 

If you need help, ask for it. There have been so many times I have felt resentment because my plate was too full, yet I did not ask for help. Therefore, I became depleted and exhausted. When I ask for help and support, I feel much better - mentally and emotionally. 

Take a Break 

Feeling overwhelmed? Take a step back. Take a break. If possible, do something that makes you happy, and then come back to it. 

When I am sitting at my desk thinking of what to write next, I feel mentally overwhelmed and emotionally exhausted if nothing comes to me. They call this writer's block. I have found that if I take a break, I can focus when I come back to it later. 

Set Boundaries 

I have work to do in this area. 

Setting boundaries is not easy for me. 

I am working on it. 

When I do not set boundaries for myself, I easily become depleted. 

A couple of ways you can set boundaries for yourself is to name your limits and tune in to your feelings. 

Learn how to say No 

There is a time to say yes, and a time to say no. 

If saying yes makes you feel uneasy or anxious, then you should say no. 

When your plate is full and you have important obligations, you are allowed to say no. 

If you want to say no because your heart is not into it, then say no. Honesty it is better than saying yes to something you do not want to do. 

Saying no to the things you should not say yes to protects you from becoming mentally and emotionally exhausted. 

Intentional Breathing 

Breathing exercises can be your best friend. Intentional breathing does not have to take long. You can take a seat or stand while practicing what I call, tummy breathing. 

Give yourself 60 seconds of deep, slow breaths. You can close your eyes or leave them open. Try to focus on your breath. See how you feel afterward. 

If 60 seconds is too long, try it for 30 seconds. This practice is not so much about how long you focus on your breath, but the quality of your breathing. 


Connect with Life Outdoors 

I struggle with opening up in Therapy. My Therapist will ask me, "How are You". I am fine. She will ask, "What do you want to talk about?" I reply, nothing. It takes me 20+ minutes to open up. 

At the end of my last counseling session, I told my Therapist that I saw a protected area at my local beach where turtle eggs laid. I was happy because it gave me hope that people care about the baby turtles. 

My Therapist told me that the next time I go to the beach, to walk up to the turtle eggs and connect with them in any way I can. I said hello to the turtle eggs, smiled, and just stood there, looking. I grounded myself and connected in a therapeutic way. 

It is recommended to connect with life outdoors. It is a beautiful way to live. All of us are creation. There is energy and life in connection. 

Talk to a Friend 

It has taken years for me to find good friendships. I make friends easily, yet I struggle to keep friends. This is partially because I do not know how to keep the fire burning in my relationships. 

When I am triggered and/or depleted, I have lost friendships because I pushed them away without explaining why I am isolating. 

When you find a good friend who accepts you, keep him/her in your life. Share who you are. Be open just enough that there is mutual understanding about uncontrollable triggers. 

Talking to a friend can give you the listening ear you need. And if you need a different perspective, you may get a good one. 

Write down 3 things you're grateful for 

When I am mentally and emotionally exhausted, I'm not thinking about anything except how bad I'm feeling. 

Writing down 3 things you are grateful for is a powerful exercise that can help you become present. This is simple and rewarding and may improve your mood. 

I challenge you to write down 3 things you are grateful for and let me know how it helps. This takes 1-3 minutes. 

Meditate 

You do not have to be a guru at the reflection to begin a meditation practice. Meditation can take a minute or as long as you'd like. 

Find a quiet place where you can calmly sit or lay down. 

Feel free to close your eyes if you are comfortable. 

You do not have to control your breath to meditate; simply breath normally. 

Focus your attention on the breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. Be still and just Be. 

Getting Relief 

This is not about using all the tools I have shared with you. The goal is to find 1 or 2 items on the list that work best for you. 

If you have a tool that helps you combat Mental and Emotional Exhaustion, please comment below and share what aids you in your journey. Feel free to share this post on social media or with a friend! 

I hope we both have more days of vigor as we live our lives to the fullest. 

Be sure to subscribe to my blog at the bottom of this website to stay up to date with me and Trekking Peaks and Valleys. 

With all the love I have to give, 

Heather Hammett 

PS: If you are undergoing some or all of these warning signs, you might be experiencing physical and emotional exhaustion. 

  • easily irritated 
  • not finding joy is your usual pleasant activities 
  • sleepless nights 
  • less patience 
  • stomach pains and indigestion 
  • unmotivated 
  • sense of dread 
  • crying unexpectedly 

To read more warning signs of Mental and Emotional Exhaustion, visit https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-exhaustion#vs-stress for more information. 

--- 


My name is Heather Hammett, and I am a Complex PTSD Survivor. I am healing from Childhood Trauma And Spiritual Abuse. My desire is to build a community of people who are on their healing journey. Our journeys are different, but our compassion for each other is key. Trek with me as I share my story. 

www.trekkingpeaksandvalleys.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today