January 6, 2011

My Twelve Commandments

Gretchen Rubin, in her book The Happiness Project, sets out to discover ways to be happier. As she begins thinking about what sorts of resolutions she'll make to improve different areas of her life, she notices some "overarching principles" - and names these principles her "Twelve Commandments."

I was intrigued by this idea - and so set about writing my own list - here they are:

1. Be good to myself and others
2. Love outrageously
3. Stop holding my breath
4. Smile at strangers
5. Say it out loud
6. Be hardcore
7. Stay in touch
8. Don’t miss this moment
9. Have great adventures
10. Don’t wait for things to be perfect
11. Laugh deep belly laughs
12. Relish being wrong

Coming up with this list wasn't a complete breeze. I had to pause often to decide whether a commandment was really something I believed in or was inspired by or whether it was based on some external expectation. I loved doing it though!!

What are your 12 Commandments - what principles underpin your life - hold you, guide you, inspire you!?

1 comment:

  1. I finally found this list (again), this time to study it more seriously, trying to understand you as a way to understanding myself better. Some of them are not as self-explanatory as you might think, at least not to me. It might be helpful to me and others if you could discuss each one of them briefly in a separate piece.

    ReplyDelete

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today