September 17, 2019

Creating Space for a Healing Heart

This week, we continue our series with guest blogger Patricia Eagle. In this post, she recounts how she gradually created spaces for her heart to heal from child sexual abuse and the consequences of that abuse on her life. All excerpts are from her book, “Being Mean—A Memoir of Sexual Abuse & Survival.”

---

When my memories of sexual abuse first began surfacing, I experienced a crush of images and a flood of feelings. In my book I described this time like this: 

“Everything and nothing makes sense . . . I don’t know who I am, or who I have ever been, or if I even want to continue to be . . . I’m not who I thought I was, except that I’m even more fucked up than I already knew I was.”

Creating space for a healing heart can be raw and unfamiliar territory. At the time I was in therapy and a support group for child sex abuse survivors, but I wasn’t feeling my heart heal in ways that made life any easier. I met with my dad to discuss my accusations of his sexual abuse with me, but he insisted he didn’t know what I was talking about. His response helped me learn how painful a perpetrator’s denial can be and how it can add to a survivor’s doubts about agonizing memories of abuse that happened years ago. 

This, along with how recollections about abuse often emerge gradually, helps explain why organizations that work with survivors say that when memories surface, the experience can be more debilitating than when the abuse actually occurred. Although I struggled during the period of my memories surfacing and in the years that followed, I also began developing a resiliency to keep looking closely, not give up, and trust that eventually I would be able to see and understand what had happened to me.

It takes practice to make room for a healing heart. After years of not seeing or communicating with my parents, we made plans to see one another despite the fact that I hadn’t recanted my accusations nor they their denials. I was slowly coming to recognize that not one of us might ever come to understand why a father would have sex with his daughter or why a mother would ignore such behavior. At this point I wrote: 

“I never hated either of my parents, nor have I ever wished them misery. We get it, or we don’t, or we just get parts of it, until finally the entire jigsaw puzzle comes together, and we stand in awe at the intricate picture comprised of a thousand pieces, even if some of the pieces are missing.”

I was starting to see the big puzzle picture despite some holes, and found myself accepting that this might be the way life was going to be. When I beseeched a beloved therapist how I could ever trust distant and painful memories, especially after shutting them out for so long, he replied that we might not ever find the smoking gun, but he could sure see the hole in my head. That could just as easily been the hole in my heart. Encouraging myself to wake up and open my heart without feeling afraid of what might show up, and without shutting out my experiences or shutting down my emotions, were now habits and skills I wanted to develop.



As my heart began to make space to heal, joy began slipping into my life more often. It was as simple as creating opportunities to be outdoors where I could 

“. . . empty myself of all thoughts while following my breath. Valley breezes kiss my face, a spotted towhee trills just for me from the top of a pinion, and a large exquisite yellow and black butterfly glides close enough to my face for me to feel the air move . . . I’m remembering how to live.” 

My healing heart could count on solace in nature.

Becoming aware of how joy can be as much a part of life as trauma is a wide open window for living life differently.

Times of feeling my heart expand and heal soon became more frequent and occurred with more ease. Once while saying goodbye to my dad at the veteran’s home where he lived, he pulled me close to his wheelchair for a long hug. I wrote about my experience in this way: “It means something to me when Dad initiates these hugs. I’m standing, he’s sitting, he doesn’t smell good, the life we’ve shared is damn confusing, but the feelings between us now, for the most part, are healthy. I’ve been able to become strong enough, for long enough, to see compassion emerge.” Developing compassion for my father, more than experiencing forgiveness, took the squeeze out of my heart. It also allowed me to also grow self-compassion.

An example from my life and in my book of experiencing a healing heart that was a particular relief to me came during an intimate time my spouse and I were sharing: 

“It’s taken decades of me chaotically bumping into memories of sexual abuse with no control over the timing of when they surface. They still show up. But I know how to not let those images and feelings interfere with healthy living, love, and intimacy . . . It’s important for us to give sex an honored place in our relationship, regardless of our ages, because at last we are in a place of no secrets and no shame. Making the precious time to be this open and this vulnerable with one another, in all our nakedness, feels like one of the most nourishing steps we take to strengthen our love.” 

Considering the challenge of many survivors to later experience healthy love and sex, being able to have this in my relationship reinforces the value of learning to create space for a healing heart.


The heart is a muscle and an organ, critical to staying alive. But why just survive when we have the opportunity to squeeze and flex it in ways that will help those of us who are survivors to live more fully as our hearts experience opportunities for healing spaces in our lives?



Read Part 2: Learning to Listen to Helpful Inner Voices


---
Patricia Eagle is the author of Being Mean: A Memoir of Sexual Abuse and Survival. She discovered language with her first word, “bird,” and later found great solace in nature. Six decades of journaling also served as a life buoy – tangible evidence of a life explored in earnest while being tossed by the confounding experiences of childhood sexual abuse. Her experience as a high school teacher informed her master’s research on the use of “professional reflective journaling,” a method to help educators better understand themselves and their students. A story gatherer, Eagle maintains an unyielding commitment to excavating and acknowledging what is resilient about her life and the lives of others, as an author and a Life- Cycle Celebrant®. Eagle lives amidst mountains and hot springs in the San Luis Valley in south central Colorado, where she watches the Milky Way splash across the night skies. Visit her online at https://patriciaeagle.com/ to learn more about her upcoming speaking engagements in Houston, Austin, Sacramento, Dunsmuir, Pacifica, Novato, and Santa Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today